Wiki musings

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Wed Aug 24 09:21:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:26:02 -0700, "Karsten Wade" <kwade at redhat.com>
said:

> * Editors need to subscribe to /Docs/Drafts/* and help writers by
> watching content changes.  Via RSS feed, if they prefer.
>
> * wiki/Docs/Drafts/ needs to be closed to all but those in the
> DocWriters groups.  This membership should be easy to obtain.
>
> * Wiki/Docs/ needs to be for DocEditors only
>
> * We can add people to those groups quickly and easily, and we encourage
> cross-work.  If you see something that needs fixing within those trees,
> fix it, knowing others are watching you to help fix your mistakes.

Just to clarify a point I made on IRC (probably poorly). At least some
of the processes that we currently have with CVS are probably going to
be the same for Wiki drafting.

IANAL, but I have a feeling that people contributing to the drafts will
need to go through the same JCA sign-up process as they currently do to
get access to the CVS, to ensure that we don't have a copyright problem.

So procedure wise we are kind of replacing "CVS access" with "DocsGroups
access" and modules with "DocProject/Drafts/DraftXXX". We could probably
use the same rule as we currently have for CVS about not editing
documents owned by other people if we wish.

I'm not sure whether we'd want to discourage casual fixing on drafts in
progress, perhaps having named authors for each document who have final
say over the structure and content (in tandem with an editor) will be
enough to keep the drafts in shape.

Since we want to move every draft to being a complete document it's
definitely going to be important that the structure of the content
follows a standard, and we might have to impose restrictions on page
creation too.

I'm not how the last point needs to work - will 1 Wiki page = 1 DocBook
file when export/CVS links are in place ?
--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA