Installation Guide TODO list

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at yahoo.co.in
Tue Jan 25 13:25:50 UTC 2005

Hi

> I think that this a circular problem.  Fedora and
> GNOME developers have
> seen the benefits of usability, so they push for
> better usability
> themselves.   I don't think that documentation is
> seen as a critical
> part of developing useful software.

the point is thou that documentation is critical
factor for many people. developers even if they dont
write all the docs themselves should consider it
important enough to cc the list and announce the
important changes that should be documented

gnome usability had a few important motivated
developers concerned with it and moving forward
inspite of the difficulties. we need a bunch of such
people for the documentation team too. The document
authors should not work in isolation. in many cases
the work being documented is involved enough that its
simply not possible to do so. When we have this
installation document at 0.9, we can make some noise
about this in the development list.

  Community
> documentation work is too
> fragmented to have a strong voice in development,
> and cannot point to
> any spectacular success in the same way that
> usability work has
> revolutionised GNOME.

thats because the distributions themselves are
fragmented to create very integrated documents.. thats
out of scope to be discussing here thou

my short version: get a 0.9 release out and make some
noise about this for feedback in the users list and
getting developers involved in the devel list

=====
Regards
Rahul Sundaram