Relicensing

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Feb 19 15:32:28 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 14:00 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> In relicensing documentation, how do we document relicensing from
> authors other than ourselves?  For example, I am the sole author of the
> mirror-tutorial, so that's a fait accompli.  But I'm a contributing
> author of the jargon-buster, and at least one of the other folks there
> is no longer active in the FDP.

I thought he'd assigned copyright to Red Hat when he made the document?

If you check throughout the CVS history, see if the (c) Red Hat was
included with the original.

That might solve only your problem, but it may be the only one we
have. :)

Still, let's proceed with your idea, because it's the Right, Best Thing.
In cases where we can't reach the copyright holder, we'll see what needs
to be done from there.

>   As far as I know, it's not possible to
> sign away a copyright, so I'd make the following suggestion:
>
> An/the active author or editor should contact all contributing authors,
> notify each of the proposed licensing change, including links to
> pertinent documentation on the Wiki.  Ask each to reply ASAP to
> fedora-docs-list at redhat.com with a PGP/GPG-signed message approving the
> change.  If the list does not receive any word back from the authors, we
> may have to proceed as on the Wiki -- in other words, removing that
> author's contributions as shown in change history (CVS for us).

Seems like the right idea to me.  It dovetails into what else we are
doing.

Content Services                          Fedora Documentation Project
http://www.redhat.com/docs   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject