Self Introduction: David Niemi

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Sun Jan 22 16:49:21 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 11:04 -0500, David Niemi wrote:
> Name: David Niemi
>  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
>
> Profession: Working as Environmental Engineer and Manager
>
> Company: Environment Canada, only a personal interest in the project, no
> professional (work) involvement
>
> Goals in the Fedora Project:
>  - In an editorial fashion contribute to the readability,
> comprehensibility, and interpretation of documentation for the newbie /
> average user of Fedora / Linux.
>  - Offer suggestions for the enhancement of documentation
>  - Assist in getting the docs out in as timely a fashion as possible.
>
> I know I am probably not the best person to lead the development of a
> document but feel that I am capable of contributing to it and at the
> same time learning more about OS, it's ins and outs.

Welcome to the project.

One of the issues that we have as documenters is that we often know too
much, and can forget about basics.

There are two documents currently being developed specifically for new
users that you could definitely contribute to:

http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/GettingStartedGuide

(now being developed by Bob Jensen and Martin Brej)

http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/DesktopUserGuide

(Chris Lennart and Scott Glaser)

> At this time there
> are too many possibilities for documents, though one that has been
> suggested on the Fedora list is a summarization of many of the more
> common problems and solutions that are posted.

We also have a FAQ that may be included with releases, and would benefit
from a review:

http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ

Writing with the Wiki is extremely simple to learn. This page explains
how to get edit access:

http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/WikiHelp/HowToGetEditPermissions

And of course, the Bugzilla reports are also helpful in letting us know
where we need to improve.

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA