Inconsistency in yum-software-management translation

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri May 19 14:55:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 22:10 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> On 5/18/06, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 18:00 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> > > Doesn't seem to break anything, so I'll apply it.
> > > Paul, what exactly does avoiding the symlink accomplish?
> > I didn't do a very good job of explaining my theory, apparently. :-(
>
> Let not your heart be troubled.  I understood what you were
> working toward about the entities.  What I didn't understand
> was why the patch avoided XML2PO expanding the
> entities.  Then I looked harder: it's the old "relative pathnames
> are resolved relative to the location of the referencing document"
> issue; right?  Because the dirname of the referenced file has now
> changed, XML2PO doesn't find the right entities, so they
> just don't get expanded, right?

Hm, actually the patch doesn't change the behavior of xml2po... it still
expands the entities, but since the expansion is necessarily based on
what the internal subset declares -- i.e. "fdp-entities.ent" in the same
directory relative to the XML file -- now the expanded entities will
match what's in the POT.

> This hack makes my stomach ache, but I'll leave it alone
> for now.

Wait, I thought I was *removing* hackiness!  :-|  When we started using
the mydoc.xml.in stuff, we were still working toward trying to make the
internal subset do weird tricks while we kept the entity references
intact in the POT and PO files.  I think we've now realized this was the
hacky part, thanks to Mr. Veillard's gentle pushing, and just not doing
it is the simpler and more correct thing to do.