Problem with a localized html version of FC6 release notes

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Oct 9 15:54:43 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 01:28 +0300, Nikos Charonitakis wrote:
> In a rawhide system with Greek locale there is a report that when a
> user clicks on release notes link (welcome page) an English version of
> release notes appears.
> Although there is a html file containing Greek release notes, FireFox
> opens the wrong file...
> Is this a problem with other locales or Greek specific?
> Can we do something?

Paul may correct me here, but this is what I think is happening.

We were *not* able to make an 'adaptive index', meaning, one that would
detect the browser's language and load the localized welcome/homepage.

Instead we have included a paragraph in English with links to all
localized versions of the release notes.

Unfortunately, I forgot to uncomment this section before sending the
release notes off as a release candidate earlier this week.  This has
been fixed in CVS and should appear in subsequent builds of the package.
It certainly is going to appear in the ISO.

This whole situation is not optimal, but it is what we could do given
the time available. :)

Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project