[fab] Re: splash page + tracking image example

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Thu Oct 5 15:26:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Josh Boyer wrote:

> No, it's not.  DHCP, NAT, proxies, etc. all make "unique" IP addresses a
> horrible metric.  In some cases, you get a single IP address for a
> number of different machines.  In others, you get two IP addresses for
> the same machine.

That's true, it will not be perfect by any means.

> Yes, counting IP addresses will give you a metric.  I just don't think
> that metric is good for much because you still don't know how many
> machines really have Fedora installed.  Is it better than nothing?  I
> don't know.

It gets you a pile of data, which can be analyzed and from which value can
be extracted.

It's certainly better than having *no data*.

Bottom line -- in th FC6 timeframe, any metric gathering will be
imperfect, and feel like a hack.

So we pick the hack that won't also anger people, and we do it.

--
Max Spevack
+ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MaxSpevack