Self-Introduction: Jason Cross

Gertjan Vinkesteijn gertjanvinkje at yahoo.es
Tue Oct 31 18:52:14 UTC 2006

Jason Cross wrote:
> Self Introduction:
> Jason Aaron Cross
> Waite Park, Minnesota, USA
>
> *Job: Linux Systems Administrator
> *Company (University): St. John's University, Collegeville, Minnesota
> *Your goals in the Fedora Project:
> I'd like to write documentation, but I'd also like to be helpful to
> others in the Fedora Documentation Project as well.  I can review
> documentation for technical accuracy and edit it for clarity.  So
> whatever needs attention right now is what I'd like to work on.  I'm
> completely up for suggestions concerning what I should start working on
> first.
>
> Historical qualifications:
> *What other projects or writing have you worked on in the past?
> I'm the only Linux system administrator at the university where I work
> so I'm responsible for all levels of Linux service and support from Help
> Desk to Desktop Administration to Server Administration.  I spend a fair
> amount of time listening to users' needs and problems which I address
> accordingly.  Quite often that involves writing short mini-howtos for
> the professors to pass onto lab assistants or students.
> *What level and type of computer skills do you have?
> I have a Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science from the university where
> I am currently employed (St. John's University).  I'm an entirely
> self-taught Linux system administrator and have used Linux for my own
> personal use since I was in high school.
> *What other skills do you have that might be applicable? User interface
> design, other so-called soft skills (people skills), programming, etc.
> I'm an experienced Java programmer and am also comfortable in Perl.
> *What makes you an excellent match for the project?
> I find it rewarding to help others learn and use Linux.  I've converted
> or at least introduced many of my friends to Linux.  I hope that by
> contributing to the Fedora documentation project I can help even more
> people learn and use Linux.
>

> *GPG KEYID and fingerprint:
> jcross at lin1.cs.csbsju.edu 4% gpg --fingerprint C316B741
> pub   1024D/C316B741 2006-10-28 [expires: 2007-10-28]
>       Key fingerprint = 72BB 6B41 08D7 422C C440  0C68 0282 5153 C316 B741
> uid                  Jason Aaron Cross (Fedora Docs Project)
> <jjacross at mchsi.com>
> sub   2048g/6D5857E2 2006-10-28 [expires: 2007-10-28]

Thank Jason, for your Self-Introduction. Also I have been systems
administrator at universities, and give technical support for
mini-supers (Convex, now HP). I was 10 yrs at http://cwi.nl , doin
office automation on a Dec 11/23, so without separate I&D space and 4 8"
floppies !!! We wrote a multi user editor for 4 terminals, but when the
console started with nroff, the beast started swapping on 8" floppy. We
bought later an 11/34, what had the same problem as not having s&d, the
researchers who were lucky had a 11/45 and later on the 2nd Vax 11/780
in Europe.
After those ten years I went to SIL, who are doing ( http://sil.org ) in
6500 languages in the world, I could do programming and bringing
Berkeley Unix on a 11/73 from Dec with Tex and MetaFont. We printed
interlineair text, eg. Zapotec-Spanish next to each other, where the
right column was the footnote!
After that I did the boring part: counseling and earning (lots of)
money, but that went away again because of a nasty illness I have.

That is my story...