CVS sponsorship (trans & docs)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 00:38:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 09:35 +1000, Noriko Mizumoto wrote:
> Hi,
> Karsten Wade wrote:
> > We've stalled on making a sponsorship process for FDP CVS in hopes that
> > the two separate CVS systems from Translation and Documentation would be
> > combined, and we could have one process overall.  This combining is not
> > happening yet, so we need a process to carry us through.  This process
> > should fit into the overall Documentation/Translation scheme for the
> > future.
> >
> > The process should have sponsors take on the job of:
> >
> > i. Mentoring new translators in how to translate documentation
> > ii. Watching CVS commits for problems, etc.
> > iii. Fixing any mistakes or dropped translations
> >
> > Here is an idea for a process.  What is stupid about it?  What is good
> > about it?
> >
> > * We add steps to the
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Translation page for new
> > translators:
> >   1. Join the language list fedora-trans-$LANG
> >   2. Introduce yourself on that list as per Fedora Translation
> > requirements
> >   3. Ask for someone who does documentation translation for your
> > language to sponsor you in Documentation CVS, then follow the steps to
> > request cvsdocs access
> >   4. When you self-introduce to fedora-docs-list, include the name of
> > your sponsor and that you have requested cvsdocs access
> >   5. Sponsor should reply to fedora-docs-list with a confirmation (ACK)
> >   6. Start bugging us via #fedora-docs and fedora-docs-list to accept
> > your cvsdocs access immediately
> >
> > * Sponsors from a language group must:
> >   - Ensure that translations go through an accuracy check (QA)
> >   - Help the new translator learn how to use the Documentation tools
> > (build tools, CVS, etc.)
> >   - Be there to help in case of trouble with CVS or tools
> >     - You do not need to know all the answers
> >     - Your main job here is to help connect people with problems with
> > the people who can help solve them
> >   - Think of this as a mentoring role
> >
> > We can either get this process or a pointer to the Wiki put into the
> > Translation Quick Start Guide.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Looks clear and sounds good to me, one question.
> The sponsor should be a writer but not translator?
> What if current active translator has an interest to be...
> If this is acceptable, I'd like to forward the message to
> fedora-trans-list, also I am going to raise my hand.

Hi Noriko,

I hope I understood your question correctly.  If not, please feel free
to correct me. :-)  I think we are looking for the sponsor to *also* be
a translator, so that the two translators can check each other's work.
This partnership will ensure that the translation is as accurate as
possible.  There is no reason a writer could not also be a translator,
if she has the experience to do so.  Most of our writers seem to be
native English speakers, but this is not a requirement.  However, anyone
who wanted to translate a non-English document to English would need to
speak the original document's language well enough.

Again, if I got your question wrong, please clarify and I'll try to come
up with a more accurate response.  Thanks for your help, and I look
forward to seeing your Release Notes in FC6!