Wiki starting points? Drafts...

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed May 2 23:16:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 13:52 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 08:47 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:

> Fortunately, we also have a Style Guide which documents grammar, usage,
> etc. for use in the official docs:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/StyleGuide

Yes, but it doesn't cover voice[1].  We could set an overall voice that
is a little different from e.g. traditional corporate technical content.
Here are some that I could see us adopting:

* Jokey (light-hearted)
* Casual (mildly jokey, addition of more pronouns)
* Metal ("This guide teaches you how to *brutalize* your Fedora
install...")

[1] Voice is the tone that writing takes.  It is the overall tone
(sarcastic, excited, didactic, bored, informative, etc.).  It is also
the individual character, which usually comes from a single writer (Neil
Gaiman's voice is different from Stephen King's, Neal Stephenson's, and
H.L. Mencken's.)

> And don't forget that we can also update our Jargon Buster with these
> terms, including a citation to Wikipedia, et al.

Are we comfortable with setting a requirement for inclusion in the
Fedora Glossary (was Jargon Buster)?  Such as, "Include the term if the
term has a special meaning in Fedora that is different or in addition to
a meaning found in an upstream dictionary/glossary."  For example, "yum
repo" and "yum repository" could use a canonical definition.

> > Heh, heh ... now that this has come up on list a few times recently
> > (refer to the archives for more of the same), maybe I need to write all
> > this up at DocsProject/Screenshots. :)
>
> How about in the Style Guide?  Currently this is in the Documentation
> Guide, but if it doesn't fit we could yank it from there and link to it
> instead.

Sure, StyleGuide.

Maybe we'll eventually pick the Documentation Guide of all the meat and
bury the carcass?

It's not that the content isn't relevant, it's that it has found its way
into more relevant or actively maintained places.

Anyway ...

   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project