Presentation and some questions

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue May 29 01:25:59 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 20:12 +0200, Mario Pascucci wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I apologize if this is wrong list, but I was wondering about...

No, no, you definitely found the right place.  At least a good place to
start.

Have you seen/used this page?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Join

> I'm a very happy Fedora user (and before I was happy RadHat user from
> rel 6.1), and I maintain a blog on Linux and Fedora, in italian, where
> I publish some guides about Linux and one on Installing and
> configuring Fedora (always in italian). I done a lot of work with Qemu
> to capture installation screenshots (both graphical and text mode) of
> Fedora 6.
> The manual is here:
> http://www.ismprofessional.net/pascucci/?p=56
>
> For generating it I use Docbook 4.2 XML with xmlto utility to generate
> html docs (I use vim to wrote it).

Great.  We're using DocBook v.4.4.  In many cases, work is done on the
Wiki, then converted to XML for final edit, translation, and publishing.
Writers choose their preferred starting place.

> Anyone found some part of it useful? Can I contribute to the
> documentation in any way with it? Screenshots, maybe?

Are you interested in writing, in English or in Italian?  We can work
with documents in any language, as long as there are enough native
speakers who can help edit per Fedora Documentation standards.

We currently have an Installation Guide, and the Fedora 7 version is in
the very final draft.  You can obtain it easily from here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PaulWFrields/Drafts

Paul put up a link to a tarball of the full XML source.  There is just
enough time for you to read and provide any comments back; you can send
them to this list.

Do you have other interests in documenting?  User or administrator
guides?  How-to use specific tools?  Live CD, custom spins, or other
installation/customizations?

Over this week we are working to fix up the tasks page:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Tasks

Watch this list for an announcement that the task list is ready for peer
review, etc.

   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project