what writing tools do you use?

John Babich jmbabich at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 14:21:53 UTC 2007

On Nov 7, 2007 4:59 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 08:52 +1000, Murray McAllister wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > I am writing on behalf of my fellow content authors at Red Hat Asia
> > Pacific. We are curious to know what tools everyone is using for
> > writing, including editors, research tools, diagram tools, graphic
> > tools, and so on. This is sort of a survey, and we are always keen to
> > try out new tools/ways of doing things if they will improve on what we
> > currently use.
> >
> > <snip>
To quote Paul:
> I use Emacs for writing and editing, although I truly wish someone had
> time or personnel to invest in better XSLT/styling for OpenOffice.org,
> so habitual GUI users could write a document in a Writer template
> then convert it to DocBook XML without a lot of retagging needed later.

+1 on OOo Writer as a DocBook XML editor - I have looked at quite a few
editors  for GNOME and KDE that purport to do DocBook XML. Surely there
are other people out there who can see the value of this.

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/WorkFlowIdeas/PrintView.

Meanwhile, I use whatever editor I can get my hands on in Linux (or when
absolutely unavoidable) in Windows XP.

> I like Inkscape a LOT for drawing and diagramming, especially since SVGs
> are XML and can be embedded easily in DocBook AIUI.

I also am excited about the potential of SVG for diagrams with translatable
embedded text.

John Babich
Volunteer, Fedora Docs Project
"FOSS Docs the FOSS Way!"