Spam Mail and Fedora-docs subscribers

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Feb 4 17:47:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 12:29 +0300, John Babich wrote:
> Fedora Infrastructure Team:
>
> For the past several weeks, the Fedora Docs list has been hit hard (at
> least 500+) with spam e-mails. They get rejected, but, I, as an owner
> of the list, am getting flooded with these rejected notices, making my
> job harder.

Yeah, sorry about that.  I usually filter those notices to the side (or
Trash) then go in to clean out the moderation queue every week or so.
Bob is doing something similar.

If it gets to be too much right now, you can use the password to log in
to the admin interface then remove yourself as an admin.  When we get
the spam filtering in place from Mike, you can log back in and add
yourself back.  The main purpose of that group is to receive
fedora-docs-list-owner email; it does not provide access permissions.

> I also notice an increase in unsubscribe notices, which may be unrelated.

Unrelated, the spam isn't getting through to the list.

FWIW, I've felt before that it seemed the unsubs were overtaking the
subs.  I do know from watching it for a long time, the list membership
size fluctuates but has been continuously and slowly rising over the
years.

Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41