[DRAFT-2] F9 Beta release announcement

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 12:43:15 UTC 2008

> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> [I missed providing feedback on this earlier but some thoughts now]
>
> >  * KDE 4.0.2, which includes a brand new desktop and panel with many new
> > concepts, integrated desktop search, a brand new visual style called
> > Oxygen, a new multimedia API called Phonon, and a new hardware
> > integration framework called Solid -- all integrated by Fedora's KDE SIG
>
> We should probably have expanded and said KDE Special Interest Group or
> just Fedora KDE team and avoided the jargon.

Fair enough.

> >  * Jigdo, an alternative system that reduces download size in some
> > situations, or for people who can't use BitTorrent
>
> If we are using this release to estimate interest in jidgo, one
> important consideration is that we haven't published good official
> documentation on how to use this. The tools involved are not very user
> friendly to understand the process without documentation either.

This sounds like something that should appear in formal documentation,
with a link from the fp.o/get-fedora and fp.o/get-prerelease pages.
Just needs someone to write it.  All hands here seem fully committed
these days, but yet we have hundreds of subscribers here, of whom a
couple might like to cut their teeth on a simple document like this.

The Fedora Unity guys have used Jigdo for a while, and Bob Jensen has
people working on the Installation Guide already -- maybe one or two
people from FU can consider drafting a Jigdo tutorial; shouldn't need
more than a couple sections to address the average user's needs,
considering that if they're using jigdo, they're already Linux users and
not people new to the concepts.