what does content look like on docs.fp.o

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Nov 21 18:49:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 06:10:57PM +1000, Christopher Curran wrote:

> That process is rather complicated. Presently it's confusing and a pain
> to get new documents in. I have 2 documents for fedora which I'm hosting
> locally because converting to wiki and docbook is a pain. I'm not going
> to maintain 2 copies of 2 books. Can we have a documentation folder for
> pdf or html documents, developed with publican?

I think we discussed this on IRC, but I wanted to get it here in the
record for all.

> Something like the way gentoo.org does their documentation. XML single
> source, updates to an svn repository, then nightly builds from the svn
> repository for the website. Wiki to docbook to wiki is silly and a
> massive barrier to entry.

Sorry for the confusion.

There is *not* a requirement to have documents be in the wiki at any
time.  There NEVER has been a case in Fedora Docs that I recall of
taking a book from DocBook, putting in to the wiki, then converting it
back to DocBook.  That would be quite the waste of time.  (Some people
have insisted on trying that in the past, and learned the lesson.)

If you have documents that are in DocBook, they are ready to go.

Be aware, though, that DocBook *is* a barrier to entry for
contributors.  You will get fewer collaborators if you work only in
XML.

For the 'Fedora SELinux User Guide', we are publishing it using the
native Publican CSS rather than converting it to the PHP scripts.
There is a loss of site navigation, but I consider the whole site to
currently be a boondoggle, a term which here means, 'a useless tool.'
Thus I won't hobble Murray's efforts (for example) with a broken tool
when he just needs content live.

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41