L10n and Docs fallback

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 16:18:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 15:38 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> We have several problems currently brewing with using hosted git repos
> of Publican-based documents with L10n's Transifex (Tx).
>
> 1.  Publican uses multiple POT files instead of the single POT model.
>     Transifex apparently does not currently handle multiple POT files
>     well.
>
> 2.  The current (obsolete but soon to be replaced) Damned Lies (DL)
>     used in L10n doesn't respond well to multiple POT files either.
>
> 3.  There may also be some issues in Tx about support for the ISO
>     language codes used in Publican.
>
> I've asked Dimitris Glezos to give us an idea how much work is
> involved in fixing each of these factors.
>
> Problem #1 is a high risk, and if we can't solve it quickly we have to
> fall back to our original methodologies.
>
> Problem #2 is lower risk, because DL is being obsoleted anyway, and Tx
> will soon take over its duties.  Plus there is the possibility of a
> low-drag workaround, which I think some folks are working on now.

For example:

http://asgeirf.fedorapeople.org/docstats/release-notes.master/

> Problem #3 is medium-to-high risk -- again, translators need to be
> able to get at the content.
>
> I expect Dimitris, Asgeir, and other L10n leaders will respond to this
> thread with some suggestions for (1) some estimate of how big these
> problems really are, (2) whether they can have the higher-risk ones
> repaired in the next, say, 1-2 weeks.

In case this isn't clear, we need someone to step-up and solve the
problems in Publican and Transifex.  I support Asgeir's reasoning for
working around DL's statistics.

We've been committed to using a good upstream product, now that Publican
fills that role, but there are still struggles in the upstream's
interaction with the wider, established communities in terms of methods,
tooling choices, and tool architecture.  All of these can be solved, and
Fedora Docs commitment is to be a good citizen in trying to get features
worked out and architectural decisions revisited and fixed at the
Publican level.

In the meantime, the higher priority parts of our mission can be
fulfilled with any DocBook XML toolchain, and we'll use whichever one is
working best within that 2 weeks.

Karsten Wade, Community Gardener
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41