release notes life cycle

Dale Bewley dlbewley at lib.ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 15 21:32:16 UTC 2008

> Dale Bewley wrote:
> > It might be nice if Beats were reset to empty before beginning work
> > on the next version release notes.
>
> Some of the content, we typically carry over. These should be minimal
> but still exists.

I'm imagining content such as a link toward how to build a custom kernel
perhaps. I understand the release notes should detail caveats and tout
new features, but also provide basic documentation stubs which carry
over between releases.

My idea is just that on a scheduled flag day the release notes have all
previous release-specific content extricated so it's more obvious what
needs to be done for the pending release. Identifying the
release-neutral content first would be helpful of course.

I suppose that content could be flagged with HTML comments in the Wiki
source perhaps, or just careful consideration during the content
"reset". Maybe even a template or skel per section after the
restructuring Jason proposed.

--
Dale Bewley - Unix Administrator - Shields Library - UC Davis
GPG: 0xB098A0F3 0D5A 9AEB 43F4 F84C 7EFD  1753 064D 2583 B098 A0F3