Much more emphasis on Fedora users needed in wiki

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 14:23:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 16:06 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 2:48 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 06:53:10PM +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> >> I just posted a new howto on my blog.
> >>
> >> Bluetooth GPS Fedora howto:
> >> http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/index.php/archives/bluetooth-gps-fedora-howto/
> >>
> >> Is there somewhere on Fedora wiki a place for it?
> >
> > You don't have to ask, Valent, it's a wiki.  Every user has a draft
> > space under their username on the wiki.  For instance, mine is:
> >
> >  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields
> >
> > When I want to post something for people to edit, I use:
> >
> >  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/My_new_document
> >
> > If you want the solution to be globally searchable, you can use:
> >
> >  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Some_new_document
> >

> Thank you Paul,
> I made new document on wiki:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Valent/Fedora_Bluetooth_GPS_How_To
>
> Maybe I wasn't clear (english is not my primary language) but I wasn't
> asking how to put page on the wiki (but still thank you very much for
> explaining) but how to better organize Fedora wiki for Fedora users.
>
> Have you looked at Gentoo wiki? Have you looked at Fedora Solved?
>
> That is what I'm talking about.
>
> Let's make Fedora wiki better for Fedora users with a HowTo section on
> the front page that makes use of best howtos currently in drafts. When
> the "wiki infrastructure" is up I guess that other Fedora contributors
> will join and add much more Fedora howtos and guides.

I think that's entirely the *wrong* way to use the wiki.  Wikipedia
doesn't organize things in hierarchies either.  Instead, we should title
all pages in ways that allow the "Search" feature to work properly, like
this:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=bluetooth&go=Go

Notice how your page comes up, because you named it properly.  *That's*
how the wiki should work, not by arbitrary hierarchies.

How-to articles can also be categorized so users can see a line up of
pages like this:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Draft_Documentation
...which the wiki does *automatically*.

> I hope others join and help out with editing this page because I can't
> make mediawiki do what I want :(
>
> I have an issue with my draft
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Valent/Fedora_Bluetooth_GPS_How_To
>
> Especially the this part:
>
> rfcomm0 {
> # Automatically bind the device at startup
> bind yes;
>
> # Bluetooth address of the device
> device 00:12:EE:55:00:FF;
>
> # RFCOMM channel for the connection
> channel 1;
>
> # Description of the connection
> comment "GPS Bluetooth dongle";
> }
>

> Mediawiki display is completely different, and if I put nowiki tag
> then it is all in one line :(

You just need to read the following page, and look at other well-done
pages' source and copy as needed.  Which is the same advice we give to
anyone who wants to edit the wiki:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Help:Editing

and especially:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Help:Editing#Marking_Technical_Terms