[Fwd: Fw: License Change... Publican]

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Wed Aug 19 19:30:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:53:24 -0400
Pamela Chestek <pchestek at redhat.com> wrote:

> I also point out that the current notice on the Fedora documentation
> says "All other trademarks /and copyrights/ referred to are the
> property of their respective owners."  To me, mentioning that there
> might be other copyright owners in the notice only creates questions,
> because it might cause a downstream user to wonder whether the CC
> license applies to the entire work.  Assuming we don't have anything
> that can't be licensed CC-BY-SA, then we should eliminate the
> confusion (and if we do have stuff that can't be licensed that way,
> then we have bigger problems).

Eek, I hadn't noticed that before.  I see that in at least some of
the documentation at docs.fp.o (installation guide, security guide).
That's indeed undesirable for the reasons Pam mentions. In Ruediger's
sample document containing the new notices,[1] the trademark sentence
correctly does not add "and copyrights".

[1]http://rlandmann.fedorapeople.org/license/

- RF