CC license logos/buttons

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Fri Aug 7 10:01:47 UTC 2009

With the licensing switch from OPL to CC-BY-SA, there is some interest
in using Creative Commons' logos and CC-BY-SA license button image
thingies in generated Fedora documentation and the Fedora wiki. This is
raising some questions about whether we can actually package the
logo/button thingies in Publican and whether indeed such content can be
used on Fedora websites.

Based on discussions I have had with Spot, the default terms of use for
such content[1] clash with Fedora legal policy concerning freely
redistributable content.  Moreover, based on preliminary communication
with lawyers for Creative Commons I believe we do not have permission
to package these logo/button thingies in Publican, regardless of Fedora
legal policy.

We are planning on exploring with Creative Commons' lawyers the
possibility of getting sufficient additional permission to address some
of these impediments, but for the time being we should assume that the
CC logo/button thingies can't be used by Fedora.

- RF

[1]See http://creativecommons.org/policies

--
Richard E. Fontana