CC license logos/buttons

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Fri Aug 7 13:04:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 06:01, Richard Fontana<rfontana at redhat.com> wrote:
> With the licensing switch from OPL to CC-BY-SA, there is some interest
> in using Creative Commons' logos and CC-BY-SA license button image
> thingies in generated Fedora documentation and the Fedora wiki. This is
> raising some questions about whether we can actually package the
> logo/button thingies in Publican and whether indeed such content can be
> used on Fedora websites.
>
> Based on discussions I have had with Spot, the default terms of use for
> such content[1] clash with Fedora legal policy concerning freely
> redistributable content.  Moreover, based on preliminary communication
> with lawyers for Creative Commons I believe we do not have permission
> to package these logo/button thingies in Publican, regardless of Fedora
> legal policy.
>
> We are planning on exploring with Creative Commons' lawyers the
> possibility of getting sufficient additional permission to address some
> of these impediments, but for the time being we should assume that the
> CC logo/button thingies can't be used by Fedora.
>
> - RF
>
> [1]See http://creativecommons.org/policies
>
> --
> Richard E. Fontana
> Red Hat, Inc.

Good Morning Richard,
Ahhh...  I see what you mean.  The page says:

Creative Commons License Buttons: The Creative Commons buttons that
describe a key term of our license, such as BY, NC, ND, SA, Sampling,
Sampling Plus and Noncommercial Sampling Plus may only be used in the
context of pointing to a Creative Commons license on the Creative
Commons server that includes that license term or to otherwise
describe the Creative Commons license, that includes that license term
and that applies to a particular work.

But we can't "point" to the website because these are books and not a
webpage.  I went through the license survey again and noted for
"offline" work that we should use the following text:

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share
Alike 3.0 United States License. To view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/ or send a letter to
Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco,
California, 94105, USA.

It doesn't say anything about using the image.

Thanks for the catch!

--Eric