Proposal for Implementing a Docbook Editor

satya komaragiri satya.komaragiri at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 14:20:41 UTC 2009

Hello,

I apologize for the delay in reply.

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Matthew Daniels <danielsmw at gmail.com> wrote:
> Satya,
>
> A docbook XML editor, especially web-based as you propose, could definitely
> be useful for the docs team. I don't think it would totally eliminate the
> need to know XML, but it doesn't need to. Just giving a way for contributers
> to write content without having to learn a rich markup language would
> probably mean we could recruit more people and get things done faster.

Very true, that is the motivation behind this project.

> Keep us updated on your progress!

Sure!

2009/3/22 Yaakov Nemoy <loupgaroublond at gmail.com>:

> I've also found that for some people (myself included) that having WSYWIG
> and XML side by side can work as a good on the job learning aid. You could
> certainly market it as away for beginners to get used to working with XML.
>
> -Yaakov
Yes, that's true. These kind of tools usually have a source view as
well where you can edit the XML itself real time. And see the changed
back in the wysiwyg view. These can help people relate to the XML and
its corresponding wysiwyg window

2009/3/22 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:

> What are you going to integrate with?  Zikula?  Meediawiki?
>
> -Toshio

By integrate I meant we could host it on the Fedora Docs website and
allow it to interact  with the CVS. An approval module can also be
implemented to ensure the quality of the documentation. Its just an
editor that can be added anywhere in the page. So it could be added to
the normal flow of any framework.

On the other hand, this tool can also be used an application on a
system which will then primarily become a UI alternative to vim and
PSGML on emacs.

Mediawiki will require a wiki format parser. But we are looking for
docbook in this case. Fedora docs + Zikula + Docbook editor would be
optimal.

2009/3/22 Karen Schneider <kgs at esilibrary.com>:
> I almost wrote that in my earlier post, and concur with Yaakov. Being able
> to see the code is also good for diagnostics (for both the human and machine
> editors).
>
> If you need people to contribute comments about why this would be valuable,
> feel free to contact me.

Thanks  Karel, That will be very useful to build up my case.

Regards,
Satya Komaragiri