Tomorrow's Docs Meeting

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Mar 25 16:33:42 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:43:25AM -0400, Eric Christensen wrote:
> I have further updated the agenda for tomorrow's meeting[1].  If you
> have an opinion on how the Beta Announcement should read or what tool(s)
> we will use to publish our documentation then you should be there!

I have an update that is a potential show stopper.  According to this
page:

https://translate.fedoraproject.org/tx/projects/docs-release-notes/master/

... building with Publican means no translation using common L10n
infrastructure.  Each translator would have to 'git clone' the
repository or otherwise submit PO files more manually.

So that's a patch to Transifex needed for Publican; a few patches to
Publican to make it produce RPMs compliant to Fedora Packaging
Guidelines; and package freeze is coming very quickly on 14 April.

> I'd also like to use the Docs conference room
> (2008) on the Talk server[3] to speed through some ideas.

Some alarm bells went off last time we used the Talk server and made
decisions.  I heard from a few people who were surprised about the
process and missed the follow-up to the mailing list.  I don't think a
summary of that discussion quite made it to the list.  We have that as
a minimum requirement.

The issue with using Talk for a regular team meeting is that it raises
barriers to participation, segregates the discussion, and has no
recording/logging capability.

Even if recording were enabled, we would still have the barrier of
spoken language being much harder to understand to non-native
speakers.  Where an IRC log can be run through a translation engine to
get the gist of a discussion, that is nearly impossible with an audio
meeting.

I understand and agree with the value we get from high bandwidth
verbal discussions, but is the added value worth all that we lose?

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41