[kerry at wsr.com: broken link on home page]

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Wed Nov 11 14:08:20 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Christensen" <eric at christensenplace.us>
Subject: Re: [kerry at wsr.com: broken link on home page]

> To point to a specific format and language all guides
> should be in the following format:  guide/f##/lang/format.
>  This is not necessarily true for ALL documents so you'll
> have to check the link to verify.  Hopefully F13 will use
> that format for all docs, though.

The proliferation of languages, formats and documents has made the old
structure of docs.fp.o somewhat untenable.  rudi put together the new, much
friendlier format.  Unfortunately, not all the "functionality" of the old
format has been retained, and without a significant development effort,
replacing that capability becomes a significant maintenance burden.

It would be reasonable to provide some automation for a single document, but
since no two documents seem to use the same naming/directory structure, such
an effort would have to be on a per document basis.  It might seem to make
more sense to restructure the site so there was some consistency, but given
the number of documents/formats/languages and the slowness of cvs that turns
out to be a huge job.

The answer has been "wait for zikula", but every day that seems to be a
little farther off.

I guess I feel some pressure to do "something" at least for release notes.
No promises, though.

--McD