Introduction and Command Line Survival Guide

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Mon Nov 16 13:32:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:14:00PM +0100, Vedran Miletić wrote:
 > Hi everyone,
 >
 > my name is Vedran Miletić and I work as a teaching and research
 > assistant at Department of informatics, University in Rijeka, Croatia.
 > I teach lab exercises in Operating systems and auditory exercises in
 > Computer networks, and in Operating systems we learn how to work in
 > Linux environment.

Welcome Vedran.  I saw your questions on IRC this morning but only hours
after you had posted them.

 > A the moment, we use "Mandrake Command Line Reference" dating back in
 > October 2004. Certainly, lots of things remained the same, but some
 > have changed.

I can imagine things change quite quickly.  Having access to the source
would help keep subjects up to date.

I wonder how much information in the User Guide we could break out and
use for a guide that would help you.

 > In order to make a new textbook for our students and new Fedora users
 > interested in command line in general, I applied to this group.
 >
 > I see there is already a draft of Command Line Survival Guide at
 > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/CommandLineSurvivalGuide and
 > it covers pretty much what I want. I tried contacting James McElhannon
 > who was working on it, but the domain of his mail adress is dead.

I just looked at this history of that wiki page and it appears no one
has touched it this year.

 > That being said, I would like to take the work on this and continue
 > where he left it, if someone is willing to point me how to do it. Hope
 > we can create something great and useful (and ready in time for Fedora
 > 13 release!).

Works for me!  It might be best to move it into DocBook XML format for
publication.  Are you familiar with DocBook?  I can get a repo setup on
Fedora Hosted and you can keep the source there.

 > Regards,
 >
 > --
 > Vedran Miletić

- --Eric