Docs Meeting Log 2009-09-10

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Fri Sep 11 00:03:47 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale Bewley" <dlbewley at lib.ucdavis.edu>
To: "For participants of the Documentation Project"
<fedora-docs-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:49 PM
Subject: Re: Docs Meeting Log 2009-09-10

> The format of this report is less useful than yours is though. Links
> back to the upstream page are very nice. This also doesn't compare to
> the previous release.

One of the challenges we have is that the alpha was pretty weak.  The report
shows the difference between Fedora 11 a week or so ago, and rawhide.  I'll
regenerate those tables as we move closer, and hopefully beta will have a
representative collection of packages.  As F11 gets more goodness from the
F12 effort, and as we understand what won't make it into F12, I expect the
tables will get shorter, but I can't really guess how significantly.  I had
hoped alpha would be somewhat representative of Fedora 12, but it had only
about 20% of the packages, so I had to use rawhide as a best guess.

> How did you generate that information? Can that code we placed into the
> pkgdb app?

I don't know what the pkgdb app looks like, but the code that created the
tables is in C.  Basically, I compare the primary.sqlite between two repos.
Unfortunately, there are  a number of manual steps.  I had an earlier
version that just made hints for beat writers that was more automatic, but I
kept changing my mind abut what I wanted, and I haven't yet learned how to
code precognition.

--McD