Re: Docs Meeting Log 2009-09-10

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dale Bewley" <dlbewley lib ucdavis edu> To: "For participants of the Documentation Project" <fedora-docs-list redhat com>
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:49 PM
Subject: Re: Docs Meeting Log 2009-09-10

The format of this report is less useful than yours is though. Links
back to the upstream page are very nice. This also doesn't compare to
the previous release.

One of the challenges we have is that the alpha was pretty weak. The report shows the difference between Fedora 11 a week or so ago, and rawhide. I'll regenerate those tables as we move closer, and hopefully beta will have a representative collection of packages. As F11 gets more goodness from the F12 effort, and as we understand what won't make it into F12, I expect the tables will get shorter, but I can't really guess how significantly. I had hoped alpha would be somewhat representative of Fedora 12, but it had only about 20% of the packages, so I had to use rawhide as a best guess.

How did you generate that information? Can that code we placed into the
pkgdb app?

I don't know what the pkgdb app looks like, but the code that created the tables is in C. Basically, I compare the primary.sqlite between two repos. Unfortunately, there are a number of manual steps. I had an earlier version that just made hints for beat writers that was more automatic, but I kept changing my mind abut what I wanted, and I haven't yet learned how to code precognition.

--McD