Agenda addition

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Apr 19 01:40:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 12:06 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> Karsten,
>
> I have a potential add for the first meeting agenda (4/19):
>
> * Discuss any applicable pre-existing policies, as well as FDP-specific
> additional policies, for CVS usage

I think we need to discuss this here then decide upon it in a meeting.

For starters, I think only a writer or editor of a particular document
should be mucking about in those specific directories.

We can consider sub-directories such as xsl/, css/, and common/ to also
have specific editors/maintainers.

Since we have only a few roles defined, those are the only ones that
apply.  Otherwise, I reckon it's me and Tammy.  Incentive to
delegate. :)

> For those of us who are neither frequent CVS users nor @redhat.com,
> guidelines would be very helpful.  Example questions from exceedingly
> naive individuals such as myself might include:
>
> "How do I know when I can add something to CVS?"
> "Whom should I consult before making editorial changes to an existing
> document?"
> "Whom should I consult before making cosmetic/trivial changes to an
> existing document?"
> "How sacrosanct is the CSS setup?"
> "Err... should I only be seeing CVSROOT in the repository right now?"
>
> It's very important to me, as a new CVSer, that I know the limits of my
> empowerment, so to speak.  I want to Get the Work Done, but I don't want
> to step on toes along the way when avoidable.  I don't work in a group
> software project environment as part of my daily work functions, so
> these answers aren't self-evident to me.  Quick scans through existing
> CVS documentation doesn't reveal much in the way of the "meta-
> policies" (?) that may be in place.

I _think_ people tend to stick within their project directories, i.e.,
modules.  That's how we do it on the RH docs team.  One tree per guide,
and one person 0wns it.

For FDP, I'd like to see collaboration possible within directories.
We'll need some lightweight policy in place, such as, coordinate with
your project team on who is committing what to where, use intelligent
naming and division of <section>s into files, etc.

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide