FedoraBounties

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Sat Jun 4 15:34:23 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 12:34 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 11:02 +0100, Gavin Henry wrote:
> > > [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraBounties
> >
> > There's some cool stuff on there.
> >
> > Are they just for the Google stuff or things that need doing in general?
>
> AIUI, these predated the Google challenge and is being highlighted by
> that event.  I could be incorrect.
>
> If we have good ideas, we can add multiple bounties, if we wish, hoping
> that one will get picked up.

If anybody hasn't seen it, one of the existing bounties is for
integrating live documentation editing into GNOME
(http://www.gnome.org/bounties/Documentation.html).

For us, screencasting is something with a lot of potential for
documentation/training and advocacy, and this might be a good way of
trialling it.  We had a small thread about this on the main mailing list
fairly recently (https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2005-
April/msg00282.html and replies), and there was also some discussion of
making use of multimedia on the GNOME marketing list.  Somebody on one
of these lists had some good remarks about producing Windows-friendly
formats, but I can't find the post.

Off the top of my head:

"Screencast Demonstrating Fedora Core Installation

Create a screencast that steps through installing Fedora Core with the
default options.  The screencast should begin with the boot screen, and
end with logging in to the completed desktop installation for the first
time.  The screencast must be produced using Open Source software, but
the format must be viewable on a Windows system using either commonly
available or pre-installed plug-ins.

You may find virtual machine technologies such as Xen and QEMU useful.
The Anaconda installation system itself includes support for remote
access through VNC and telnet."

We could substitute a common desktop task like configuring a dial-up
connection for installation, but the Google initiative seems geared
toward challenging tasks, and the above allows for quite a wide range of
approaches with different technologies.

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA