last word on keyword

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 21:33:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Karsten Wade wrote:

> In discussions with FDSCo, we noted that the keyword *docs* is easy to
> mistake as using two wildcards around 'docs'.

Yes, it is two wildcards around docs. Theoretically there is a possibility
for you guys to get extra commit messages that don't really belong in the
relnotes. I'm not aware of any existing usages of '*docs*', and people
don't typically type *docs* into CVS commit messages otherwise, so I'm not
really worried about it.

> Another point was made that not requiring extra keystrokes (such as the
> shift to get the *) might increase usage/make for less grumbling and
> happier developers.

I don't think developers will have a problem here. If it were a long
string that we expected them to type for hours on end, maybe this would be
a valid objection... But an extra two keystrokes once a day?  Gimme a
break.

> Here are a few that fit this bill, which is to have some semantic or
> structure meaning, not easily be confused with another meaning in the
> same context (of coding or a commit log):
>
> [docs]
> //docs//

The latter one requires as many keystrokes as *docs* :)

By way of explanation, I suggested *foo* because it is similar to the
pattern common in e-mail where you type *foo* to emphasize foo... (/foo/
and _foo_ are also sometimes used).

I'll go with whatever you guys want, but KISS :)
-- Elliot
Pioneers get the Arrows. Settlers get the Land.