IRC log of non-meeting 29-Aug-2006

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Aug 29 21:12:02 UTC 2006

No quorum, so not a full meeting. :)

<quaid>
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/SteeringCommittee/TaskSchedule
<ghenry> ta.
* quaid hasn't seen Eitch in a little while
<quaid> BobJensen-Away, stickster - one thing we can discuss without a
quorum is the idea of bumping the meeting around to accomodate Tommy
<stickster> I would be happy to do that, as I said before... I think I
even suggested times
<quaid> maybe we can pick a time that works for us, so what were your
suggestions? :)
<stickster> that is, times that I could do
<-- f13 has quit (Read error: 60 (Operation timed out))
* stickster goes to gmail
<quaid> thx, I never followed up on that one
<BobJensen-Away> quaid: I have no problem with that
<stickster> I can be around anytime between 1:00pm-3:30pm and
4:30pm-8:00pm
<stickster> That's Pacific time, sorry
<quaid> oh, ok
<stickster> i.e. 4-7:30, 7:30-11:00pm easter
<stickster> *Eastern
<BobJensen-Away> I have a lUG meeting on the first tuesday of the month
at 4PM Pacific Time
<stickster> We don't even have to do Tuesday
<quaid> looks like my note to the list said Tommy was avail after 4 pm
<quaid> but I'm not sure that really means ... 5 ?
<BobJensen-Away> other days are an assortment of better and worse,
Tuesdays are good overall
<stickster> We can't possibly accommodate our long-suffering European
contingent
<quaid> when we have the need, we could shift again.
<stickster> This could affect our ability to have quorum though. So
either we bend there (+1) or figure something else out
<stickster> Seeing as how we don't have enough active people to make up
a 17-person cmte like Extras :-)
<BobJensen-Away> I am open to just about anything
<quaid> well, if we had some more sexy packages ...
<quaid> yeah, I think our adherence to Roberts Rules might be out of
order
<stickster> I'm working on it... it's tough to do it right *and* fast
<BobJensen-Away> Mmmm fedora-docs-sexy....will that help?
<stickster> How about 8:00pm Eastern, 5:00pm Pacific
<stickster> Some late-nighters in UK might sign on, but probably not
<BobJensen-Away> stickster: I am good there, other than that one tuesday
a month
<quaid> I think that would work ... I just want to find a time that I'm
sure I'll have a computer available, that seems to be OK
<quaid> and we can also put up the idea of ditching the quorum, or at
least setting the minimum to "two voting members and no major changes or
coups" or something
<BobJensen-Away> as always if it does nto work we can change....right?
<stickster> Yup
* quaid writes up something
* BobJensen-Away smells clutches slipping
<stickster> While quaid does that, I will go on to top item on schedule
page
<stickster> The IG is pretty much complete for FC6 at this point
<stickster> There were a goodly number of changes that (I hope) make it
more flowchart like.
<stickster> The links will drag a person through quite a bit of the
"Select method X" stuff
<BobJensen-Away> stickster: great, did you get the images you needed?
<stickster> Yes
<stickster> Between what Sam sent me and what I did in VMWare
<quaid> aalamS is ready to push the POT to i18n, we can wait until the
30th like the schedule says and possibly get the DUG in there on time,
too
--> MrTom (n=mrtom at fedora/MrTom) has joined #fedora-Docs
<stickster> quaid: Wait, how does that give the translators time given
our schedule page?
* quaid looks
<quaid>
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Schedule#guides-schedule
<quaid> 31 Aug actually, CVS freeze for IG is tomorrow
<stickster> We list relnotes translation finished target date as 3 Sep,
which is only 4 days
<stickster> Oops, wrong
<stickster> Oh, no, that's right
<stickster> We kind of promised the translators a longer lead time.
<BobJensen-Away> stickster: Not sure that date was updated with the last
push from RE/Devel
<quaid> stickster: we're driven by the ISO for that, so we can slip as
much time as is needed ... fortunately, the diff between test2 and test3
isn't much
<quaid> I think that is accurate scheduling
<stickster> When is the test3 release right now?
<stickster> I thought it was on for Sept. 11
<quaid> f13 confirmed that we are on target for 11 Sep/.
<BobJensen-Away> OK
<stickster> OK then, that means we're only giving the translators like,
4 days if we push on the 30th.
<quaid> I still don't see what problem you see, other than us being
three days late
<stickster> We promised to do better this time, so we should.
<quaid> no, wait
<quaid> you are looking at the relnotes
<quaid> look at #guides-schedule
<stickster> Oh
<stickster> Sorry... so the relnotes have gone now?
* stickster was basically busy all day and has not checked email
--> f13 (i=jkeating at fedora/ender) has joined #fedora-docs
<BobJensen-Away> Hi f13
<f13> hi
* stickster sees aalamS's email
<stickster> quaid: OK, so relnotes are good to go
<stickster> I'm on schedule for the IG at this point... no work left
unless someone checks it out and tells me it sucks
<stickster> f13: Speaking of which, if you want to look at the IG and
make suggestions, that's appreciated
* BobJensen-Away will bust legs if they do...
<stickster> cvs -d <Docs_CVS> co install-guide docs-common
<BobJensen-Away> f13: You better run
<stickster> BobJensen-Away: That's not fair, he's still recuperating
<stickster> :-)
<BobJensen-Away> LOL
<quaid> stickster: do you want to run it by anaconda-devel?
<stickster> Srue
<stickster> *Sure
<stickster> There's one screenshot out of date but I was hoping it would
be "fixed" (it's ugly in default resolution) before freeze
<f13> sk'IG' ?
<f13> stickster: 'IG'?
<stickster> f13: Installation Guide
<quaid> Installation guide
<f13> ooooh
<quaid> stickster: are your scheduling concerns answered?
<quaid> we are giving the requested week for trans for the IG, and are
cutting short on the relnotes but fortunately there aren't that many
changes, and I don't know yet if the DUG is going to drop on time or a
day late, depends
<stickster> I think so.  I still have a sad face on from missing a
deadline, but that's probably because we have no good centralized
project tracking
<quaid> yep, that's mainly what happened; that would be me, and i didn't
do squat for work this weekend
<quaid> total slacker
<stickster> Thank goodness for wiki commit messages though
<quaid> and moving on ... :)
<stickster> How's the DUG?
<quaid> very active commits, I'm behind in editing, going to focus on
that for the afternoon
<quaid> it's pretty complete, but I'm sure there is going to be dispute
about the approach, so we'll see how it looks in draft mode
<quaid> once we convert from Wiki, we aren't going back
<quaid> at this point, i say there is a fair chance we'll drop for trans
at the same time as the IG, on time on 31 Aug
<quaid> after all, that's 48 whole hours from now
<BobJensen-Away> OK
<quaid> is there any value (or time) for us to get the finals for these
on the FC6 ISO?
<stickster> I wish that some of our many "new user" proponents were
helping like John has
<quaid> jmbuser++
<stickster> jmbuser rocks
<stickster> Um... we talked about the IG briefly, but there was always
the concern of missing something and having it frozen for eternity on
the ISO
<f13> stickster: I'm trying to unfuck my workstation right now.
<stickster> f13: :-)
<quaid> step 1 - remove dipstick
<BobJensen-Away> heh
<stickster> Here's the thing... the packaging will also involve entries
in the comps file so that there would be a Documentation group in pirut
where users can easily install this stuff
<f13> wheee!  cryllic fonts on my anaconda!
<quaid> f13: TMI about a new tattoo?
<f13> hehe
* quaid makes a sideways reference to Sir Mix-A-Lot
<stickster> Спасибо
<stickster> As for packaging... OMF stuff is hopefully there now, which
is a major part of the packaging
<stickster> OMF files are what create entries in scrollkeeper, the
documentation parser and indexer used in Yelp (GNOME help)
<stickster> This was hard.
<stickster> Next up is correcting the building of tarballs and spec
files.
<stickster> Once that happens, we'll have a way of rolling RPMs out of
docs CVS almost as easily as in Extras.
<stickster> I have decided I am *not* going to work on building a common
docs-building infrastructure above and beyond the already existing
platform tools.
<stickster> At first it seemed like a good idea, now it seems more like
a huge waste of time, or quagmire, depending on how you look at it :-)
<quaid> uh, you know, I hate to be Amero-centric, but is 11 Sep. really
a good day to release anything you want attention on?
<quaid> stickster: about common docs building, I think it is a good idea
but I'd want some input from others who are using the toolchain.
<quaid> maybe an RFC on f-docs-l?  too bad we can't see who has been
using the toolchain.
<stickster> My RFC would basically be, "If you think it's a good idea,
build it."
<quaid> heh, yeah
<stickster> Not to be snide. I'm just burning the candle at both
ends :-)
<quaid> right
<stickster> Maybe that would be something in which Dmitris would be
interested
<quaid> ok, moving along
<quaid> I didn't do any testing of the DB XML -> Moin Moin, as I'd
intended
<quaid> travel weeks always equal less computer time, no matter what I
think is going to happen.
<quaid> I saw that I'd forgotten about the unsupported <qandaset>
situation, which kicks the SELinux FAQ in the knees.
<quaid> do we have any other doc we want to test with?
<quaid> mvirkkil: did you get to test with anything?  XML -> wiki, that
is
<BobJensen-Away> I have to jet guys, sorry I could not stay longer
<quaid> ciap
<quaid> we're almost done, anyway
<quaid> bottom line on that is, no update
<quaid> same with trans process
<quaid> no idea what is going on with Fedora Infrastructure
<quaid> for the i18n/elvis -> cvs.fp.o
<quaid> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Schedule
<quaid>  rhlinux.redhat.com migration
<quaid>
<quaid> BerndGroh
<quaid>
<quaid> N/A
<quaid>
<quaid> Moving accounts and CVS to f.r.c - stalled at present.
<quaid> oh, wait, is that the same thing?
<quaid> yes, it is
<quaid> ok, so we can safely figure that as a priority 3 item, it ain't
happening for a while
<stickster> *snort*
<stickster> sorry, /me was drafting note for Jeremy to pass on to
anaconda-devel-list
<stickster> quaid: OK, that's done
<-- Rasther has quit ("aaahhhhhhh")
<stickster> quaid: One last thing... still-missing sections of relnotes
<quaid> ruh-roh
<stickster> We probably need a drop-dead date to let people know when
the wiki will be frozen.  We need to leave ourselves plenty of time for
editorial before the trans freeze
<stickster> My vote is 72 hours
--> xover (n=link at 193.157.66.5) has joined #fedora-docs
<quaid> right now we have 23 Sep for freeze
<stickster> So 20 Sep?
<quaid> sure
<stickster> i.e., 3 weeks + a smidge
<stickster> I'm thinking the right way to do this might be to mailbomb
f-devel-l and f-maintainers-l
<stickster> Judging by the low response from test2 -> test3
<stickster> quaid: Objections?
<stickster> *: Anyone?
<stickster> Bueller?
<quaid> sorry, was prepping a mailbomb
<quaid> for internal lists
<quaid> yes, let's do that, one mail a week until then
* quaid adds it to our agenda
* stickster applauds quaid for initiative
* stickster makes appointment in Evo
<quaid> yeah, that too
<quaid> but I figure if it comes up on our agenda, that's at least once
a week :)

--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project