IRC log FDSCo meeting 05-Sep-2006

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Sep 6 00:58:08 UTC 2006

<quaid> <meeting>
<quaid> as per the new rules, we are just doing stuff and whoever is
here == quorum
<quaid> unless we detect gross negligence, etc. :)
<stickster> right-o
* quaid digs up that shed-yool
<-- [splinux] has quit (Remote closed the connection)
<quaid>
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/SteeringCommittee/TaskSchedule
<stickster> Looks like Thursday I need to pick up PO for IG
<quaid>
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Schedule#guides-schedule
<stickster> quaid: I show today was the day for another relnotes
deadline mailbomb to f-{devel,maintainers}-list
<stickster> Can you copy/paste your previous email?
<stickster> heh, f-spam-l
<quaid> word
<stickster> jeremy posted a message to anaconda-devel-list with a link
to the IG candidate I put up as a tarball on the wiki
<stickster> So far, no feedback, + or -
<stickster> Packaging update: Did a LOT of work on OMF to get it "just
right" for release notes
<stickster> It will probably be OK for Makefile.common
<stickster> While doing this, I discovered that we probably have some
ability to make modules with multiple documents... it will take some
pretty intense Make-fu but it should be possible... probably won't even
involve breaking anything.  That's for the post-FC6 timeframe...
maybe :-)
--> singh (n=aalam at 220.224.50.116) has joined #fedora-docs
* stickster doesn't have anything else to report this week
<stickster> As I told f13 earlier, many of the current PO (9 locales)
are ready to go... others are stalled since the translators didn't do
the common entity work required first :-(
<stickster> I sent mail to f-trans-l to see if anyone could get any
done, but it's pretty late in the game
<quaid> modules == cool
<quaid> hoping that we get some -fu from the RHEL team, in terms of
toolchain goodness
<stickster> Um... ok :-)
<quaid> but no fingers crossed until we see the stuff
<quaid> yeah
* stickster does a Rip van Winkle in the meantime :-D
<quaid> just keep stuff on the list, jfearn reads
<stickster> jfeam?
<stickster> Oh, sorry, font rendering problem :-D
<quaid> heh
<stickster> DejaVu Sans Condensed has its moments
<stickster> Anyhoo...
<stickster> I don't think I have anything else to report
<quaid> hey, hmm ... there is two days for the entities, maybe we'll
catch more
<stickster> Umm... yeah, for Web release, yeah
<stickster> I did note that in the email
<quaid> oh, right, sorry
<quaid> I was transposing RN on IG
<stickster> np, I understood
<quaid> or vice-v
<stickster> or v-v
<stickster> v-v-va-voom
<quaid> ok, updating the taskschedule
<quaid> I'm owning the DUG stuff, too
<stickster> Wow, amazing how much faster we move when people aren't
making you work for a living!
<quaid> as I said, not going to seek translation, going to get it baked
more
<stickster> Cool re: DUG
<quaid> what is OMF?
<stickster> Did I write too much detail in that Photo section?
<stickster> Ah, uh...
<stickster> Open Metadata Framework? I think...
<quaid> ok
<stickster> It's just a way of describing document metadata
<quaid> where are we with the fedora-release-faq idea/plan/work?
<stickster> Scrollkeeper, which is a system function for tracking that
stuff in Fedora, keeps lists of OMFs for online documentation
<stickster> Hmmm
<stickster> I... don't. Er, know.
<quaid> it's here but I don't seem to recall if we decided to do
something with it ... it could be in fedora-release-notes as a file so
we can link it easily from the splash HTML page
<stickster> I'm reluctant at this point because we have no one providing
traction for the latter part of that plan
<quaid> which brings up another point ... weren't we going to push a new
splash page for /usr/share/HTML/index.html?
<stickster> That was a Bob thing.
<quaid> yeah, those are related
<quaid> glezos?
<stickster> Yeah, I think they were supposed to get together on list
<stickster> I didn't see anything about it beyond the original mockup.
<stickster> Without a proof of concept at this point I'm very nervous
about moving down that road before FC6.
<stickster> It's been a lot of work for me just to get to where we have
i18n OMF for the docs
<stickster> I still haven't even finished that completely -- I really
need to provide i18n .desktop files as well and that takes some
additional doing.
<quaid> or we could break out of the mold and just make something cool
happen
<quaid> there is just enough time if e.g. glezos applies hisself :)
<quaid> it should just be files that go into CVS, which reference
themselves; it shouldn't affect the package in any way.
<stickster> Yeah, the HTML part is pretty easy I would think
<stickster> But the doc integration is not as much so
<quaid> the FAQ?
<quaid> I put this into the task list, and the FAQ is optional IMO
--- tseki_bot is now known as tsekine
<stickster> Well, again, if our contributors step up to the plate we
should welcome them
<stickster> But given the amount of time it takes me to do Makefile
hacking I can't promise a bunch of packaging integration I can't deliver
on time :-(
<stickster> I've got some RH developers bugging me in BZ about i18n for
the desktop docs delivery, so I'm trying my best to get it working in a
way that we can carry out to all of our CVS
<stickster> The front page thing should be completely doable tho'
<stickster> Like you said, link out anything that isn't ready, and
viola.
<quaid> it doesn't seem like it requires makefile help
<quaid> only the FAQ, and that we mark as optional
<stickster> Yup, I say go for the HTML
<stickster> Can you get Dim to work on this?
<quaid> just requested to the list
<stickster> sweetness
<quaid> yeah, we can always just dump the FAQ to HTML, style it, and put
that in manually, skipping the XML -> HTML step
<quaid> I'll leave that up to him, or he who takes the challenge
<stickster> Yuck, that doesn't sound good
<stickster> Then if we release the FAQ as a module we have to figure out
a way to obsolete files from another RPM? *shudder*
<quaid> hmm
<quaid> ok, I don't see a way around that
<stickster> Too hard to get that part right the first time... what with
the CSS stylin' required, I'd say let's just link out to the FAQ for
now, and look at how we'll handle it better for next time 'round
<quaid> do you think we should push docs packages to Extras?
<stickster> "CSS stylin' required" == making the page beautifulicious
<stickster> I think it would be cool to have them there
<stickster> I don't see a good reason for them to be in Core
<quaid> so at least we can get them out there and tested sooner, maybe
make it possible for people to actually get a new FAQ etc. from Extras?
<quaid> word
<stickster> This was our original plan...
<quaid> well, where wasn't totally settled, was it?
<stickster> Yeah, a little odd because of release notes
<stickster> They're an exception methinks
<stickster> Now with Extras being available in the installer, and having
a comps file that we can add to in Extras, much less of a worry
<quaid> cool, we can have a group that people install "Fedora
Documentation" or somesuch
<quaid> yep
<stickster> ...it's just taking longer than expected because every time
I think we're ready, I find out that I did something incredibly
boneheaded and I have to back up halfway and start again
<stickster> TR has been scarce to keep me from shooting myself in the
foot... but he hopes to be back around more soon
<stickster> I'm trying to do a better job of understanding what he's
done already and extend it
<stickster> I'm starting to get a lot of it that was mysterious to me
before
<stickster> The main issue I see now is that docs packaging is not ever
going to be a push-button operation for an editor... it will take
packaging knowledge to do correctly
<stickster> Which means the neglected DocG is even more necessary than
before
* quaid fires a request about PDF into f-devel-java-l
<stickster> Ah good!
<stickster> Our stylesheet for PDF sucks in xmlto, so anything we can do
for better PDFs is awesome
<stickster> It often works, but is fugly
* quaid goes to confirm that lack of content on his nagmail list of
pages
<quaid> which is about the last of our task items to discuss, fwiw
<stickster> whew!
<stickster> good meeting!
<quaid> yeah :)
<quaid> AOB?
<stickster> I'm going to continue working on this .desktop issue... if I
can get that licked we are a LONG way toward packaging
<stickster> Possibly have a beautiful first run packaging process in
place for relnotes for final
<quaid> cool
<quaid> anybody who might help you with it?  some connection we can
make?
<stickster> nuttin else
<stickster> Well, all the phones I've tried went dead after "Hello,
would you like to..."   ;-)
<stickster> Tommy is incommunicado for a short time still
<quaid> if you have anyone in particular I might use some special
influence on or something
<stickster> If he gets back online in the next week I'll certainly be
asking him for help
<quaid> my mythical beer tip jar, for example
<stickster> heh
<quaid> ok, rock on
<quaid> </meeting>
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project