New package for review : lighttpd

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 16 20:28:22 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 21:19 +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:

> I've also changed the home of the lighttpd user from /var/log/lighttpd to
> /var/www/lighttpd as it makes more sense.

Hmm, so what about the /srv tree? Now, I realize that defaulting Apache
to using something under /srv could easily break lots of installations,
but you're defaulting lighttpd to something new anyways so perhaps
putting it under /srv/www/lighttpd or somesuch...

Relevant part of FHS 2.3:
"The methodology used to name subdirectories of /srv is unspecified as
there is currently no consensus on how this should be done. One method
for structuring data under /srv is by protocol, eg. ftp, rsync, www, and
cvs. On large systems it can be useful to structure /srv by
administrative context, such as /srv/physics/www, /srv/compsci/cvs, etc.
This setup will differ from host to host. Therefore, no program should
rely on a specific subdirectory structure of /srv existing or data
necessarily being stored in /srv. However /srv should always exist on
FHS compliant systems and should be used as the default location for
such data."
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM

Somehow /srv just makes more sense to me than /var for this, now that it
exists. (The /srv directory is provided by "filesystem" in FC3. Of
course, this is just a nitpick/suggestion, feel free to disagree, but
taking the opportunity to move toward closer FHS compliance in a non-
breaking way sounds like a reasonable deal to me.

Best regards,
Per Bjornsson

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University