GNU ddrescue vs. dd_rescue

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Mon Jun 20 23:46:54 UTC 2005

The ddrescue in Extras is really dd_rescue
(http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/).  I'm curious what
everyone thinks about including GNU ddrescue
(http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html).

The two programs do essentially the same thing, although GNU ddrescue
is somewhat more advanced.  For those of you familiar with dd_rhelp,
GNU ddrescue will give you more-or-less the same functionality of
dd_rhelp + dd_rescue.  Unfortunately, dd_rhelp is a little buggy, and,
since it is a *huge* shell script, it is a little hard to debug.

There's no really nice way to handle including GNU ddrescue.
Personally, I think the right thing to do would be to change the name
of the current ddrescue package to dd_rescue (the upstream name), have
dd_rescue obsolete ddrescue <= 1:1.0, and ship GNU ddrescue as
ddrescue with Epoch: 1.

Whatever is decided, I have a working spec for GNU ddrescue, and, if
necessary, I'll volunteer to make all the changes and deal with the
fallout.

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/