Re: Complicated post script

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 21:22 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 10:05 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
> > Anyway, the spec file needs to add some stuff to /usr/share/file/magic
>
> That will break "rpm -V" of the file package.  Doesn't /etc/magic work?
> Modifying that instead of the /usr/share one would sound better, but
> even better than that would be an /etc/magic.d or somesuch dir where
> packages could just drop their additions in.  RFE in Bugzilla if such a
> thing doesn't yet exist?

Well, it seems that the free desktop is moving toward the Freedesktop
shared-mime-info spec (Gnome implements it since a while back, I don't
think that KDE does yet though?):
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fshared_2dmime_2dinfo_2dspec

I guess 'file' won't actually pick this up though... but if the intent
is to make the file type useful in the desktop environment this should
be the way to go.

If I read this correctly, it seems that the
directory /usr/share/mime/packages is the place to drop a specification
file in the shared-mime-spec XML format, then run update-mime-database.
Then there should be a hint in the .desktop file that a program can
handle a certain MIME type, which is registered by running update-
desktop-database.

I guess KDE still needs the old way of doing it though.

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj stanford edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University