make tag and %{?dist}

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Wed May 4 02:04:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 21:57 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 08:50:47PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > According to http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DistTag one can append
> > %{?dist} to the Release field in the spec file and it will be expanded
> > to the correct value when the package is built by the build system.
> > However, unless the spec file contains something like:
> > %define dist .fc4
>
> Presumably, the build system defines this so it doesn't have to be in the
> spec files.

Yes, I know that.  That's not my problem.  My problem is that it's _not_
defined on non-build system machines or in the magic CVS make targets.
So if I have something like this:

Name: foo
Version: 1.0
Release: 1%{?dist}

in my spec file for both the devel and FC3 branches, the 'make tag'
command creates a tag that looks like this:

foo_1.0_1

since %{dist} is undefined.  That is bad because that means I need to
manually go modify the spec file to have a different Release field since
the same tag can't be used in two different branches.

josh