New package: cogito

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed May 4 16:41:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005 07:00:34 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> > > I'd be tempted to sit things out a bit longer before its added,
> > > even to extras, until its got a few more battle-scars.
> >
> > Yep, I agree.  I have also been playing around with packaging cogito,
> > but I've held off trying to submit anything until it stabilizes a bit.
> >
> > josh
> >
> Do we still have separate repositories for this?

No.

> (On fedora.us there was
> unstable and testing.)

... and confused many users, since (1) no document explained the
philosophy behind a classification into stable/testing/unstable, (2) other
repositories use a different classification, (3) hardly any user who, runs
into problems with packages from "testing" or "unstable", would report a
bug, (4) repository mixing becomes even funnier, (5) inter-repository
dependencies (e.g. "livna") get more funny, too, (6) example yum config
files apparently suggested to enable all repositories by default, and (7)
an upgrade path from half-baked packages/software often is impracticable.

> I'm not sure if the new testing repository is more
> like the Fedora Core Testing repo....

It is and should not be abused for overly experimental stuff.