Re: Self-Introduction: Christian Jodar (Tian)

tian c-sait net wrote:
Looking at the "install" program in the gcfiles tarball, I think there
are a couple of problems with it:

Thanks a lot for these remarks. I will change that even if I don't use
it for the RPM creation, because it could be useful for everyone.

What I'd suggest is to not bother with the "install" script and instead
use Requires: entries for all the dependency checks and use a bunch of
"%{_bindir}/install" commands to actually install all the files in the
right places. Since you've already enumerated the list of files in the
%files section, this shouldn't be too big a problem.

Does it act the same way if I use %{__install} macro?

Yes, that is what I would use, though some people suggest just using "install", "rm", "mv" rather than "%{__install}", "%{__rm}", "%{__mv}". I certainly prefer the macros personally. I mentioned %{_bindir}/install so as to distinguish it from "./install".

Concerning the Requires, it seems that rpmbuild check for Perl
dependancies and it should not be needed.

True.

To be able to use GCfilms install script in %install section, I should
also add a --nocheck option. Depending on time it will take for these 2
solutions, I will use one of them. I'll let you know when everyhting is
fixed.

You may also need to add BuildRequires: for any perl modules that the GCfilms install script uses, as rpm will not be able to figure those out for itself.

Paul.