Self-Introduction: Christian Jodar (Tian)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon May 9 15:48:30 UTC 2005

tian at c-sait.net wrote:
>>Looking at the "install" program in the gcfiles tarball, I think there
>>are a couple of problems with it:
>

> Thanks a lot for these remarks. I will change that even if I don't use
> it for the RPM creation, because it could be useful for everyone.
>

>>What I'd suggest is to not bother with the "install" script and instead
>>use Requires: entries for all the dependency checks and use a bunch of
>>"%{_bindir}/install" commands to actually install all the files in the
>>right places. Since you've already enumerated the list of files in the
>>%files section, this shouldn't be too big a problem.
>

> Does it act the same way if I use %{__install} macro?

Yes, that is what I would use, though some people suggest just using
"install", "rm", "mv" rather than "%{__install}", "%{__rm}", "%{__mv}".
I certainly prefer the macros personally. I mentioned %{_bindir}/install
so as to distinguish it from "./install".

> Concerning the Requires, it seems that rpmbuild check for Perl
> dependancies and it should not be needed.

True.

> To be able to use GCfilms install script in %install section, I should
> also add a --nocheck option. Depending on time it will take for these 2
> solutions, I will use one of them. I'll let you know when everyhting is
> fixed.

You may also need to add BuildRequires: for any perl modules that the
GCfilms install script uses, as rpm will not be able to figure those out
for itself.

Paul.