Question about epochs

I think I remember something like this coming up here a while ago. I recently imported octave from core to extras, and it has had an epoch defined for years. I'm not sure why this was done, as octave has always had very consistent version names. Since the use of the epoch tag now seems to be frowned upon, would it cause problems if I removed the epoch from the new Extras octave package?

-Quentin