Approval needed: mlmmj

Michael Fleming mfleming at enlartenment.com
Mon May 9 23:52:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 08:40:20AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi waffled thusly:
> On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 08:30:14PM +1000, Michael Fleming wrote:

[sub-packaging mlmmj's contributed web frontends]

> > > Why not separate subpackages for each front-end?  Seems most admins
> > > would install one that uses php _or_ one that uses perl, not both.
> >
> > How does:
> >
> > mlmmj-contrib-perl
> > mlmmj-contrib-php
> >
> > ....sound?
> >
> If not having a web front end is a major loss in functionality, then
> mlmmj-webgui-perl and mlmmj-webgui-python might be better.  Something that
> says that the packages provide an integral piece of functionality.

I wouldn't say it was an integral part of the package - it works without
it - however it would extremely useful for shared environments where a
list admin may not have root or shell access.

> > I /could/ put the files under /usr/share/mlmmj/contrib/ (rather than a mess
> > of webserver-dependent roots)- this way admins can copy the respective
> > trees to wherever their webserver requires them and give permissions/
> > ownership accordingly.
> >
> If an admin has to copy the files over, it should probably go in %doc.

I used to put it in %doc (my own repo versions) however it seemed the
resulting RPM picked up extra dependencies I didn't want, unless I
removed execute access from those files.

> But again, if the webgui is pretty key to making mlmmj a good package, it's
> best to set them up as a works out of the box subpackage.
>
> If you're worried about where exactly the webroots live, I believe you
> should be able to set the mlmmj guis up in /var/ somewhere and then include
> an /etc/httpd/conf.d/mlmmj-webgui-*.conf file to add the program to apache.
> Not sure how crucial that is, though.

This would work OK - /var/www/mlmmj-web would make most sense to me (and
should keep SELinux happy too) and generating an Apache .conf for it is
trivial . Unfortunately users of other webservers with different roots
would still need to adjust accordingly. Oh, well.

However I'd need to get package approval and a build queued before I
deal with that, as I've not been able to do the latter due to a lack of
the former.

> -Toshio

Michael.

--
Michael Fleming <mfleming at enlartenment.com>
"Bother" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"