Re: Review Request: pptp

Chris Ricker wrote:
On Tue, 10 May 2005, Paul Howarth wrote:

Client for the proprietary Microsoft Point-to-Point Tunneling
Protocol, PPTP.  Allows connection to a PPTP based VPN as used
by employers and some cable and ADSL service providers.

Spec file:
http://www.city-fan.org/~paul/extras/pptp/pptp.spec

Spec looks good

What are your thoughts on MPPE inclusion? Every Microsoft PPTP VPN I've ever seen required that as well.... It may be patent-encumbered though?

Whilst it's possible to set up an MS VPN server not to require MPPE, it's not very useful ;-) However, there are applications of PPTP that do not require encryption. For instance, I connect to my ADSL ISP using pptp.

Regarding patents, I don't believe that the ppp_mppe module has any patent issues, but the alternative ppp_mppe_mppc module does.
See: http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-diagnosis.phtml#running_pppd_after_connection

Packaging of pptpconfig to go with this would be useful too

Well, yes, but that opens another can of worms as I mentioned earlier: https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-May/msg00394.html

The PHP4 in FC3 doesn't include the pcntl module, and FC4 ships with PHP5, which I believe (I haven't tried it) is incompatible with php-gtk.

An open source PPTP VPN server is also available, namely PoPToP
(http://poptop.sourceforge.net/). I may package this for extras too at a later
date if there's demand for it.

Given the general broken-ness of PPTP, it might be best not to encourage people to persist in furthering the use of it :-)

Unfortunately some of us have no choice if we need to use $EMPLOYER's VPN.

Cheers, Paul.