Re: Review Request: pptp

Chris Ricker wrote:
On Tue, 10 May 2005, Paul Howarth wrote:

Regarding patents, I don't believe that the ppp_mppe module has any patent
issues, but the alternative ppp_mppe_mppc module does.
See:
http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-diagnosis.phtml#running_pppd_after_connection

Okay, looks like encryption's fine, but compression is patented?

That's my understanding.

Packaging of pptpconfig to go with this would be useful too

Well, yes, but that opens another can of worms as I mentioned earlier: https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-May/msg00394.html

The PHP4 in FC3 doesn't include the pcntl module, and FC4 ships with PHP5,
which I believe (I haven't tried it) is incompatible with php-gtk.

Yeah, I'd forgotten they're in php-gtk. I think the php-gtk plan is to skip over 5.0 and only support PHP5.1+?

I don't know really. PHP-GTK-2 is not yet at "very early alpha" stage though (see: http://gtk.php.net/).

What we currently do is to create a separate PHP4 build with pcntl support, installed somewhere like %_libdir/php-pcntl, and use that for pptpconfig. It's ugly but it works.

An open source PPTP VPN server is also available, namely PoPToP
(http://poptop.sourceforge.net/). I may package this for extras too at a
later
date if there's demand for it.

Given the general broken-ness of PPTP, it might be best not to encourage
people to persist in furthering the use of it :-)

Unfortunately some of us have no choice if we need to use $EMPLOYER's VPN.

Right, and that's where the pptpclient enters in. My point was that it might be best not to package a PPTP server (poptop) because if you do, you'll just encourage people to persist in setting up more PPTP servers.

Understood.

Paul.