Re: request for review: hobbit

Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:
On 5/11/05, Michael A. Peters <mpeters mac com> wrote:

On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 15:47 -0400, Chris Ricker wrote:

Anyone interested in reviewing hobbit?

<http://www.oobleck.net/kaboom/fedora/srpms/hobbit-4.0.2-2.src.rpm>

hobbit's a GPL'ed replacement for the server component of Big Brother. It
works with the Big Brother client (non-free), or with the free
hobbit clients which are under development, to monitor server /
application / network / etc. status

Just a note - a company I used to work for had a webapp server that we wanted to call Gandalf, but the lawyers wouldn't let us because apparently the Tolkein family was legal happy or something. I don't know if hobbit would have the same issue, were hobbits something Tolkein took from lore, or is the name his invention?

hobbit's are an invention of Tolkein. They may be close enough to
public domain due to the various uses in todays culture. For a while
Tolkein had a lawsuit against TSR D&D for using 'magic rings'. It
caused jokes about "Using a circular metal unit on my right hand that
imbues invisibility" instead of ring of invisibility.

His name is spelled Tolkien.

-- Christopher Aillon Middle Earth Historian