request for review: fping

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu May 12 09:39:52 UTC 2005

Chris Ricker wrote :

> Anyone like to review / approve
>
> <http://www.oobleck.net/kaboom/fedora/srpms/fping-2.4b2-2.src.rpm>
>
> fping's essentially a scriptable parallelized ICMP echo-based ping. It's
> needed by hobbit....

Find attached a patch for some quick suggested changes, of which :
- Drop the silly buildroot != / from %clean
- Simplify the weird doc installation (did you do that??)
- Don't strip the fping6 binary on install to get useful debuginfo

If you apply at least the above 3 changes from the patch, I approve the
package :-) (compilation and functionality tested too on i386)

Actually, I've just noticed that the "fping6" binary included in the
binary package doesn't get stripped automatically, whereas the main
"fping" does. Strange. Could it be that both binaries share debug symbols
etc.? Wondering if it could have been caused by the suid bit, I've looked
at /bin/su on FC3... and it's not stripped either. Confusing :-)

Maybe the explicit stripping of "fping6" should stay then, if the debug
symbols extracted from "fping" are sufficient for both.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux kernel 2.6.11-1.20_FC3
Load : 1.26 0.58 0.35