Need review: ghc

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Thu May 12 17:59:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 13:32 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> a package cannot require itself.
>
> that makes no sense at all.

Well, if it weren't that GCC was considered part of the base build
system I bet that GCC would have to build-require some C compiler in any
case! (Yes I know it rebuilds itself with itself to get consistent
results, but to kick off the first bootstrap stage some marginally
competent C compiler is necessary.)

In principle I guess this compiler could possibly BuildRequire
something other than specifically "ghc", perhaps "some Haskell
compiler". However, GHC seem to be the most popular one around, and
there's certainly no other one in Fedora... Any other suggestions for
how to deal with this bootstrap problem?

Perhaps someone knows how the GNU Ada compiler (part of GCC, packaged as
gcc-gnat) was first bootstrapped in Red Hat Linux? It's an Ada compiler
written in Ada AFAIK...

/Per