Request for review: rxvt-unicode, evilwm

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Sun May 15 18:32:57 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 08:09 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> -urxvt seems todo some stuff with fonthinting, is it nearly aware of
> freetype fonthinting, or does it do stuff with fonthinting itself. I as
> because fonthinting is a patented technology and patented technologies
> are a no no in Fedora.

I tried to quickly figure our what you referring to here, but didn't
really get anywhere... As far as I can tell rxvt-unicode uses either
core X fonts or the Xft library. It appears to explicitly turn off
autohinting for some fonts, but that's it. The autohinting is not
patented, and is shipped with Fedora; turning it off will just give
entirely unhinted fonts.

Note that I only looked at the spots I thought seemed obvious, I haven't
read through all the code... But my first impression is certainly that
there shouldn't be any legal problem at all with the font handling.

/Per