Re: PHP4 in extras?

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On 5/16/05, Paul Howarth <paul city-fan org> wrote:

During reviews of my pptp package
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-May/msg00391.html),
a couple of people suggested that I also package up the "pptpconfig" GUI
configuration tool for pptp. I'm happy to do this, but it will also
require packaging of some dependencies, one of which is version 4 of
PHP, because pptpconfig is built using PHP-GTK (http://gtk.php.net/),
which is not compatible with PHP5 as shipped in FC4.

Do you know exactly why its not compatible with the php5 that's going
to be in fc4?
Inherent incompatibility with php5 or is this a compile time setting?
If its a compile time setting issue have you communicated with the
core php maintainer about whether there is room to negotiate
compiletime changes before fc4 is released?

I believe it's an inherent incompatibility. I tried building with php5 from rawhide this morning and it fell over at a PHP version check in "configure", the error message being "PHP-GTK requires PHP version 4.3.x".

Paul.