Static libs (was: Re: Approval needed again: SCIM)

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 20:02 +0900, Jens Petersen wrote:

> (I'm actually planning to propose for FC5 to move (all) static
> libs to -static subpackages in order to make -devel packages lighter.)

FWIW, you have my +1 on that.  Additionally in the vast majority of
cases, static libs wouldn't even be needed in the first place... but
suggesting dropping them or disabling the -static subpackages by
default, guarded by "--with static" or somesuch rpmbuild flag might be
too controversial... or would it, WDYT?