Re: Build problems on x86_64

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 05:58 -0500, Quentin Spencer wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 05:28 -0500, Quentin Spencer wrote:
> >

> >> Is there any possible
> >>explanation other than a bug in gcc?
> >>

> >Yes, broken inline asm, bug in as, bug in g++, bug in libstdc++
> >(templates can contain inline asm), invalid source code, etc.
> >

> Shouldn't g++ catch invalid source code? If it builds on another arch
> (completed on ppc, and builds on my i386), doesn't that exclude invalid
> source code as a possible cause here?

Yes (but no) and no.

g++ can catch invalid C++ code, but it's not responsible for converting
the C++ into native code. It converts it into assembly via libstdc++,
then gas converts that into native code. Also, GCC makes architecture-
specific native code, and different architectures have different
libraries used to create native code. Some of the different
architecture's libraries may be fine, others not.

http://fedora.ivazquez.net/