New package: iozone

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Thu May 19 22:17:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:24:18 -0400, Neil Horman wrote:

> Hey all-
>
> Package Name: iozone

> various performance metrics on a filesystem, and graph the results.  Iozone is
> reasonably mature, and listed by the maintainer as freeware.  Its got a number
> of options for fine tuning the metrics you collect, and the format they are
> output in.
>
> Location:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/nhorman/iozone-3-1.src.rpm
> http://people.redhat.com/nhorman/iozone.spec
>
> md5sums:
> 57b6989afbc52bea93e4bba7392e683f  iozone.spec
> 4c5ee5e7f0169f2d68bd17ceedd6a5cd  iozone-3-1.src.rpm
>
> srpm passes rpmlint with no concerning errors/warnings.  Looking for an initial
> review and acceptance.

Lots of small issues:

* Package contains the files from "debuginfo" package, because
  you include everything below %{_libdir}. However, no file in %_libdir
  belongs into the package at all.

* Package builds with non-standard compiler optimisations, such as the
  not so tested (and hence not recommended or even dangerous) -O3.

* %defattr statement missing at beginning of %files section.

* At beginning of %install, you don't empty $RPM_BUILD_ROOT.

* Sometimes you use /usr/bin, sometimes %_bindir. Prefer %_bindir
  everywhere. (On the contrary, keep /usr/share instead of %_datadir,
  because you hardcode /usr/share in your patch.)

* At beginning of %install, you are inside $RPM_BUILD_DIR/iozone3_239
  already, so you could use relative paths during installation and
  avoid the hardcoded iozone3_239 directory name everywhere.

* "mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/docs" is superfluous. You don't
  use the created directory.

* Prefer "install -p" or "cp -p" to preserve timestamps of copied
  files (end-users can easily see the age of files, such as old documentation,
  for instance).

* Mentioning the program's name in package "Summary" is considered
  bad taste.

* At the topic of "bad taste", is the documentation really needed in
  three different formats (MS Office .doc, PDF and compressed PostScript)?
  I would suggest dropping the .doc and .ps.gz.

* Executable text files: Gnuplot.txt in %doc and /usr/share/iozone/gnu3d.dem

And a hint:

  %dir /usr/share/iozone
  /usr/share/iozone/*

is the same as

  /usr/share/iozone/

Likewise:

  %dir %{_docdir}/iozone
  %{_docdir}/iozone/*

is the same as

  %{_docdir}/iozone/

The one-line version includes the directory and the entire tree in it.

--
Fedora Core release Rawhide (Rawhide) - Linux 2.6.11-1.1305_FC4
loadavg: 1.14 1.15 1.25