RE: Request for discussion: Package installation problem with running nscd

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs math uh edu> wrote:

> OF> What do you think? Should adduser/addgroup check if nscd
> is running
> OF> and if so, run the nscd -i passwd or nscd -i group?
>
> Isn't nscd supposed to watch the source files and
> automatically flush if they change?  Run nscd -g and see if
> it includes lines like:
>
>                  check /etc/passwd for changes
>                  check /etc/group for changes
>                  check /etc/hosts for changes

That's what nscd -g | grep check shows, but it seems it doesn't work. Note,
it doesn't always happen - but sometimes...

> This is supposedly governed by the check-files statement in
> /etc/nscd.conf.

It's there:
grep check-files /etc/nscd.conf | grep -v ^#
	check-files			passwd		yes
	check-files			group			yes
	check-files			hosts			yes

> Of course this only works if you're keeping system accounts
> in the files and are only storing user accounts in LDAP.

That's the way my system is designed. All user accounts are in LDAP, but not
the system users. Means user apache is - of course - not in LDAP, but in
/etc/{passwd,group,shadow}.

> If you're storing everything in LDAP, I'm not sure how the
> system would boot.

I'm not goin' to try that. :-)

Best,
 Oliver